Yoga poses with modifications
- Spread Leg Pose- (Prasarita Padottanasana- Spread out foot intense posture)- ( wide leg standing forward bend)
Inhale, lift your chest. Open the heart and gaze upward. Feet wider than shoulders-up to 4-5ft.
(A) Exhale fold forward and clasp the big toes with two fingers of each hand.
(B) Rest your hands on the shins or above the knees.
(C) You may take your hands to the floor.
- Western Intense Stretch Posture- Pashimottanasana (A, B, C)-( seated forward bend)
- (A) Exhale fold forward. Clasp the big toes with two fingers of each hand.
(B) Hold the ankles or shins with the legs straight and spine long.
(C) Bend your knees and either hold the ankles or toes
- (A) Exhale and change your grip unless you are already working at your capacity in which case you should remain in option from A- . If you are continuing the clasp the feet with the fingers on the soles and the thumbs on top.
(B) If you enjoy using props you may utilize a strap around the feet with legs straight
(C) Bend both legs
- (A) Exhale and change your grip unless you are already working at your capacity in which case you should remain in one of the previous levels. If you are continuing then reach around the feet and clasp your feet and clasp your wrist.
(B) You may use one of the previous alternatives or a strap
(C) Bend the legs
Inhale lengthen the spine and look to the horizon, Exhale fold into whichever level is appropriate for you.
- Eastern Intense Stretch Posture- Purvottanasana – (reverse plank)
(A)Exhale, place the hands flat on the floor behind the hips with fingers pointing toward the toes. Inhale, drop the head back. Push the hips up toward the sky. Keep both legs straight with the feet touching and the soles of the feet on the floor. Both arms are straight and fully engaged.
(B) If it is too intense to practice this with straight legs then before lifting the hips you may bend the knees and bring the feet half way towards the buttocks. Place the feet hip-width apart and then lift.
(C)Third option is to leave the hips on the floor and lift only the chest while dropping the head back.
- Boat Posture-Navasana- (boat)
- Inhale, lift and straighten both legs with the feet together and fthe toes pointed at eye level. Arms straight and parallel to the floor with the palms facing each other.
- Bend the legs with the shins parallel with the arms.
- You may also hold the back of the knees for support.
- Locust Posture- Shalabhasana A- (Locust)
(A)Exhale and lie down on your belly from Downward Facing Dog. Inhale, lift your chest and feet. Place the back of the hands on the floor. Keep the feet together.
(B) If it is too difficult to raise the chest and feet simultaneously, you may leave the feet on the floor and raise only the chest.
(C)Raise only one foot at a time